The Discipleship Process
What is a disciple? Jesus defines what a disciple is:
- Those who are willing to endure persecution and ridicule for the sake of Christ. Matthew 10:22-26
- Those who live in total allegiance to the Lordship of Christ, being willing to forsake all – property, family, friends, etc. – for the sake of Christ. Luke 14:6, 27, 33
- Those who understand and keep the basic teachings of Jesus (continue in the Word). Growing daily in relationship with Jesus through Bible Study & Prayer. John 8:31,32
- Those who have given evidence that agape love (for others) has been found in their lives because of their connection to Christ. John13:35
- Those who are bearing fruit by creating other disciples. John 15:8, 11, 16 Matthew 28:16-20
Phase 1 of Discipleship:
- Acceptance of Christ as Savior.
- True commitment to the Lordship of Christ in one’s life.
- A demonstration in one’s life that Christ is becoming Lord of one’s time, money, body, etc.
- An acquaintance with and basic understanding of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs.
- Membership in the body of Christ (His church) through Bible baptism.
Phase 2 of Discipleship:
- Developing a Spiritual Life.
- Learn how to pray and a developing prayer life.
- Learning to study the Bible and developing a personal study program.
- Developing a community life in the body of Christ – involvement in a small group that is relational.
Phase 3 of Discipleship:
- Discovering my ministry.
- Discovering my spiritual gift.
- Assignment to ministry based on spiritual giftedness.
Goal/Results (bare much fruit)
- Become a missionary person.
- Learning how to share Christ with friends.
- Become a disciple maker.
- YOU ARE A MINISTER! A disciple making disciple
Recommended Discipleship Curriculum:
As a disciple of Jesus Christ, you have been commissioned to "Go and make disciples..." Jesus now invites you to experience the Joy of a lifestyle of Evangelism.